- Whereas, children need access to healthful foods and opportunities to be physically active in order to grow, learn, and thrive;
- Whereas, good health fosters student attendance and education;
- Whereas obesity rates have doubled in children and tripled in adolescents over the last two decades, and physical inactivity and excessive calorie intake are the predominant causes of obesity;
- Whereas heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes are responsible for two-thirds of deaths in the United States, and major risk factors for those diseases, including unhealthy eating habits, physical inactivity, and obesity, often are established in childhood;
- Whereas, schools and school communities have a responsibility to help students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to establish and maintain lifelong healthy eating patterns;
- Whereas, schools also have a responsibility to help students establish and maintain lifelong habits of being physically active;
- Whereas, school districts around the country are facing significant fiscal and scheduling constraints; and
- Whereas, community participation is essential to the development and implementation of successful school wellness policies;
Thus the Horizon Science Academy Primary is committed to providing an environment that promotes and protects children’s health, well-being, and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating and physical activity. Therefore, it is the policy of Horizon Science Academy Primary that:
- Horizon Science Academy Primary will engage students, parents, teachers, food service professionals, health professionals, and other interested community members in developing, implementing, monitoring, and reviewing district-wide nutrition and physical activity policies.
- All students in grades K-2 will have opportunities, support, and encouragement to be physically active on a regular basis.
- Foods and beverages sold or served at school will meet the nutrition recommendations of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Horizon Science Academy Primary via qualified vendors will provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students; and will provide clean, safe, and pleasant settings and adequate time for students to eat.
- To the maximum extent practicable, Horizon Science Academy Primary will participate in available federal school meal programs (including the School Breakfast Program, National School Lunch Program, and after-school snacks.)
- Horizon Science Academy Primary will provide nutrition education and physical education to foster lifelong habits of healthy eating and physical activity.